The Motorola T100 Talkabout is a great walkie-talkie for both indoor and outdoor use. It has a rugged exterior that resists scratches and a frequency of about 25km in an open area. Additionally, it comes with two channels and other features that make it a worthwhile investment. Overall, it is suitable for parents who want to keep in touch with their kids when they’re outdoors.
- Compact and lightweight suitable for kids
- Affordable compared to other models within its range
- Easy to set up and use
- Comes with study belt cleans
- Doesn’t need a license if using within RS channels
- It’s not rechargeable, and you can’t use rechargeable batteries
- Doesn’t support nighttime use as it doesn’t have a backlit LCD
- It’s not waterproof
Who Is It For?
Keeping your family together when in the park, on a picnic or hike, or at the playground can be challenging. However, it doesn’t have to be with the Motorola Talkabout T100. It is designed for youth groups, families, and individuals who want affordable and reliable two-way radios for excellent outdoor communication.
The product comes in two pairs and offers a perfect way of staying in touch. Therefore, you can instantly reach out to your family or friends to know whether they are safe. Since it is compatible with any radio, individuals can communicate using other FRS radios from any brand as long as they are on the same channel.
Generally, this is a great walkie-talkie pair for instant outdoor or indoor communication. As an added advantage, it is compact, meaning that even your 2-year-old shouldn’t have a problem holding it.
What’s In The Box?
When you buy this product, you get:
- Two radio units
- Two belt clips
- One user manual
- One warranty card
Note that the product doesn’t come with 3 x AAA batteries. Therefore, you have to buy separately for each walkie-talkie. Additionally, it doesn’t include wrist wraps. So if your child prefers them over belt clips, you’ll have to make a separate purchase. Also, bear in mind that some sellers may offer three two-way radios handsets.
After knowing what’s included, it’s essential we guide you through the setup. We must mention that although using this product to communicate with someone is simple, the configuration may be confusing to some people, especially since it has few buttons. However, the manual has instructions on how you can do it.
You only need to install the batteries and turn the handsets on. Then, set them to the same channels (read the manual to know the channels and frequencies available). Once you are done, you can begin using the unit right away.
Design & Features
One reason we recommend this pair for kids is that it comes with a compact design that fits easily into their little hands. Also, since kids are known to drop things here and there, this model is designed with a sturdy blue and black outer shell. As such, it can survive rough handling without scratching or breaking. Additionally, although the enclosure isn’t weatherproofed, neither does it float like other high-end models, it can survive most accidental drops.
It has a decent-sized side that small hands can easily press and comes with easily accessible operation buttons. However, one can lock out these buttons by long-pressing the page/lock button. As such, you can ensure the same channel on these radios and prevent your child from changing it intentionally or unintentionally, which interferes with the communication.
There’s also the read-out screen that displays what operations you are currently taking and whether you’re receiving (Rx) or transmitting (Tx). Sadly, the screen doesn’t illuminate. As such, nighttime use can be quite tricky.
We should mention that this unit doesn’t have a lot of knobs or buttons. It only has a call tone, lock button, Push-to-Talk button, power, menu, and volume button. As such, configuring it might be a bit tricky but you can always seek help from the manual.
Other features worth mentioning include (check out the user manual for more info):
- Call Tones; rather than the default ring, the unit has an attention-grabbing call tone. As such, it’s easy to know when someone is speaking. However, note that it only has one default call alert. Therefore, you can’t customize it as per your liking.
- Auto Squelch Feature- background noise can sometimes interfere with your communication. However, this unit comes with the auto squelch feature that offers background noise cancellation when speaking or transmitting.
- Keypad Lock- you or someone else can’t change your personalized settings accidentally. You’ll need to first enter the passcode before changing the existing settings.
- 22 Channels- sometimes finding a channel on a walkie-talkie with fewer channels can be tricky. But, we love this model as it offers various channels. So users can quickly find one. Plus, there is a scanning feature that allows users to search and find a channel quickly.
- Flashing Low Battery Alert- if the battery is running low, you will see a flash alert. But, please monitor the battery levels and ensure that they don’t go too low as the handset will stop transmitting.
Motorolla T100 Performance
The device comes with one power option, and individuals can only use alkaline batteries to power it. However, these batteries will give you up to 18 hours of usage. Sadly, the unit doesn’t have a rechargeable feature. As such, you’ll have to buy new batteries once they run out.
The manufacturer says that the model can reach a maximum range of up to 16 miles if used within ideal conditions. Several factors can interfere with the range, including weather conditions, physical obstructions, electromagnetic interference, etc.
When it comes to frequency, you can only use the device within the Family Radio Service (FRS) and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) frequencies. The range is from 462MHz- 467MHz and covers 22 channels. Unfortunately, the channels don’t have Privacy Codes.
If using the radio unit within FRS, you can use it license-free. However, you need a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for the GMRS. Channels exclusive to FRS are 8-14, while GMRS channels range from 1-7 and 15-22.
Motorolla T100 Specs
- License needed: Yes, if using GMRS channels, one will need the FCC license
- Waterproof: No
- Weight: 0.5 lb
- Size: 5.22 x 1.91 x 1.10 inches
- Battery: 3 AAA alkaline batteries
- Frequency Ranges: 462-467 MHz (FRS/GMRS)
- Power output: 0.5 watt
- Range: 16 miles