- Using AirPods as walkie talkies is possible through the ‘Walkie-Talkie’ app available on the Apple Watch.
- Both users need an Apple Watch and need to be connected to either Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- You need to add friends to your Walkie-Talkie app, and once they accept, you can start conversing in real-time.
Meet the Apple Walkie-Talkie App
The Walkie-Talkie app was introduced with watchOS 5 and remains a popular feature on the Apple Watch. This app allows Apple Watch users to communicate with each other just like you would with a traditional walkie talkie, and of course, you can use your AirPods to listen in on the conversation!
How to Set Up Walkie-Talkie on Your Apple Watch
Before you can start chit-chatting with your pals via AirPods, you need to set up the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch. Here’s how:
- Open the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch. The icon looks like a walkie talkie.
- If this is your first time using the app, you’ll see a splash screen with an ‘Open’ button. Tap on it.
- To add a friend, scroll down with your finger or turn the Digital Crown, then tap on the plus sign (+).
- Select a friend. You’ll only see friends who have an Apple Watch that can use the Walkie-Talkie app.
- After you add a friend, they receive an invitation to talk with you using the app. Once they accept the invite, you can start talking with them instantly.
Connecting AirPods with Apple Watch
Now that your Walkie-Talkie app is set, let’s pair your AirPods with the Apple Watch:
- Place your AirPods in the charging case and open the lid.
- On your Apple Watch, go to the ‘Settings’ app.
- Tap ‘Bluetooth.’
- Select your AirPods when they appear in the list of devices.
And voila! Your AirPods are now connected to your Apple Watch, ready for some Walkie-Talkie action.
Talking Walkie-Talkie Style with Your AirPods
With the Walkie-Talkie app on and your AirPods connected, you’re all set. To start a conversation, open the Walkie-Talkie app, select a friend, then tap and hold the talk button while you speak. Release the button when you’re done talking so that you can hear the other person’s response. It’s as simple as that!
Whether it’s for fun, convenience, or a quick way to communicate on the go, using your AirPods as walkie talkies can be pretty cool. As long as you have an Apple Watch and a willing friend at the other end, you’re all set for some walkie-talkie action. Over and out!